Thursday, June 16, 2011

Just Another Day...

So, I'm back in Atlanta for about two weeks spending some time with my family in between jobs. I arrived Tuesday afternoon and my dad picked me up from the airport. I will say there was a bit of a change in his appearance. He now has no hair. He has some little baby hair that he has decided to keep on the top of his head, but other than that...there is nothing there. Luckily, I saw a picture before I arrived so I wasn't in complete shock. We were both hungry so we went to Monterrey's Mexican for a little lunch. I love Mexican food and you can't really find cheap Mexican food or good Mexican food in the D.C. area. So I was in heaven.  We arrived home and both took a little nap. Mine was a little longer than his, but I had a long night the night before packing and gearing up for my move to Chicago. My dad, mom, brother, sister-in-law, and I went to dinner Tuesday night at this place called Technique. It was a three-course dinner that was prepared and served by student chefs. The food was quite good, but it took a long time. My dad was very concerned because the head chef was yelling at some of the chefs in the kitchen. After a nice dinner, we came home, watched a little baseball, and went to sleep.

Wednesday, my dad had to get up at 4:30am and 6:30am to drink a tasty beverage for his CT scan later that morning.  He then had an appointment to get a scan of his lungs, stomach, and pancreas to see if the chemo has had any effect on his tumors. My dad got a chance to speak to one of my cousin-in-laws, Thuy, later in the day about some of this treatment and results and was excited to get a very candid consultation. He also was excited to install the bird feeder that someone (he can't remember) bought for him on a tree in the back yard. Our across-the-street neighbor, and friend, Harold helped him to install the bird feeder with a rope and pulley. This afternoon, we had our first visitor. He starred out of the window for a couple of minutes like a little kid at Christmas. It was quite funny.

Last night my mom had Spanish class, so my dad and I had dinner on the porch. If you have ever been to our house, you know that the porch is his favorite place. We ate dinner, readjusted the bird feeder, and watched the storm come and go. Later on we watched some of the Braves Game on tv and just talked.  Life here at the Keegan household is pretty calm. My mom left for Albany this morning to visit her family. So, my dad and I are preparing to move some of the furniture from the basement to the upstairs part of the house.  Should be interesting. 

He should receive the results of his most recent CT scan by Monday, which is also when he has chemo session #4.  We have a big day planned for him on Sunday, Father's Day, so hopefully his mind won't be focused on anything but family and love.

Here is a picture from the bird feeder installation....

No comments:

Post a Comment