Monday, May 16, 2011

Don't Quit

I talked to my dad today on the phone and he kind of mentioned that I've been slipping on the blog. Mind you he just had chemo on Monday.  The five days (yes dad, five...you win) after chemotherapy are pretty rough for him, so I try not to bug him too much. He's a little frustrated during these five days, understandably so.  I asked him how he was feeling yesterday and he said no basketballs in his stomach this time - he said more like a soccer ball. If you aren't a sports fan, this is an improvement from his last chemo session. I spoke with him this morning and he seemed a little groggy. He doesn't like chemo. I can't imagine that anyone does. But hopefully he will will be up and busy as a bee by Saturday.

Today is Encouragement Wednesday. My dad is not in the most optimistic mood during these five days, so I figured he might need a little pick me up. Sorry to say, I have no funny stories to tell, but I do have an inspiring one.  My dad met a young lady named Jordyn. Jordyn's father use to work with my dad at CDC and Jordyn is a cancer survivor.  She had been seriously ill with cancer and won a trip to Spain from an organization that supports cancer survivors.  Jordyn was able to watch the Barcelona football team (soccer, not American football) and have dinner with my parents.  She has been in remission for a year and is graduating from high school this year.  Recently, Jordyn walked in the Relay for Life marathon and carried a sign in honor of my dad. Probably one of the nicest things I've seen in a while.  So here's to Jordyn! Congratulations on beating cancer and graduating high school. You've probably overcome more in your young life than most of us have in our older lives (don't worry...I am aware that I am now older).  So dad, keep your head up. I expect you to be walking in that race next year or maybe we can get a bicycle race for cancer survivors started up!

One of my favorite poems is Don't Quit.  It is applicable to many things in life.  Don't worry, Keegans aren't quitters.

Don't Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.
- Author unknown

(A picture of Jordyn and her now famous sign. Thanks Jordyn!)

No comments:

Post a Comment